Announcing our newest major feature:
When it comes to getting things done, we get the most done together. That’s why we knew we needed the ability to collaborate in Simply Goals & Tasks.
Simply Goals & Tasks is still primarily a personal to-do list app. This is not an Enterprise level collaboration tool. You won’t find sophisticated permission and other project management type controls. This first attempt at a collaboration feature is intended more for spouses, roommates, school partners, friends planning a trip, etc.
Even with these limitations – we think you will get more value from the app now with this feature!
How does it work?
To get started either pick an existing goal or create a new one to share.
- Access the Goals section from the main menu (three horizontal lines in the top-left corner)
- Optionally, create a new goal with the big plus button in the bottom-right
- Tap a goal to view its details
- In Goal Details there is a new Members section, hit the “Manage Members” button
Add members to the goal
- From the Manage Members page, hit the button in the bottom-right to add more people
- You can type in their email address or select from your Contacts
NOTE, we do not have access to your contacts. This feature works without our needing that permission
- If you are inviting an existing Simply Goals & Tasks user, be sure to use the same email address that they use for their account
- If you are inviting a new user, you’ll have a chance to review the invite email before sending it
When you accept an invite to a Shared Goal, you get a copy of that goal and all the tasks that belong to it, including ones created before the goal was shared. The goal has the same name for everyone, but each person can assign color and time allocation for themselves.
Share your tasks!
As soon as you invite other members, tasks belonging to this goal will look different. You’ll see little icons indicating that the task is unassigned, assigned to you, or assigned to someone else. When editing or creating a task, you’ll see a section for assigning the task. Note, you won’t be able to assign tasks to anyone until they accept the invite to join the Shared Goal.
In that same Manage Members page, from the three-dot menu in the top-right there are options to give up ownership or to leave the Shared Goal. If you leave, you can choose to make your own personal copy of the Shared Goal (the copy will be a regular un-shared goal). You can further choose for the copy to include all the tasks, only tasks assigned to you, or tasks either assigned to you or unassigned.
Tell your friends
The nicest thing any user can do for us is to tell a friend about our app! We hope that having the ability to collaborate will encourage more of you to get your friends and family to try Simply Goals & Tasks!
Join the Beta
As of today, the Shared Goals feature is only available in the Beta version of the app. You can get Shared Goals by joining the beta program. Update: Shared Goals was released to everyone on November 19, 2018.
Beta users get features before everyone else. They help us by finding bugs that we missed and letting us know so we can fix them before releasing the update to everyone else.
Join the beta: